ALDIE (see also Bull Run)
Sections: 1) Background; 2) Instructors
- 1) This needs further research. We are not certain of the precise physical location of the first Aldie Colored School. Though in part of the post office of Aldie, perhaps in the related “black settlements” of Bowmantown, Stewartown, or Back in the Hollow.
- In the Black History Committee’s “African American Communities of Loudoun County,” written by Deborah A. Lee, we learn “Although few black people lived in Aldie itself, the surrounding area included the black settlements of Bowmantown and Stewartown on the south side and Back-in-the-Hollow on the north.Many of the women belonged to the Housekeepers’ Club, founded in 1914. Members met monthly in one another’s homes to enjoy fellowship, food, guest speakers, and workshops. At a summertime meeting, for instance, women brought fresh flowers from their gardens and learned floral-arranging from a professional. They also stitched baby clothes for expectant mothers, and women who didn’t know how to sew could learn. The club still meets, with some members now traveling a long distance..”
- 1890/1891 The original schoolhouse appears to have been constructed as a one room frame building for $500. Source: Report of Survey Committee on Long Range Planning for Loudoun County, Jan, 1940. Location: Edwin Washington Archives folder 2.2 County School Board, 1918-1952. Note. History Matters in 2004 reported that the building was constructed in 1890. Perhaps 1890 was actually the date the land was purchased.
- 1898. Original Schoolhouse burned down.
- 1909. The former Bull Run School, now a residence, was … erected in 1909 as a replacement for the 1890 building and was a typical one-room frame, front-gable schoolhouse. It was also named Bull Run School after its location on the east slope of Bull Run Mountain. Current address Current address: 23965 New Mountain Road, Bowmantown. Source: History Matters Staff. (2004). Loudoun County African-American Historical Architectural Resources Survey. Leesburg: Balch Library and Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. pp 38/39.
- See Bull Run For Photos and more details.
- 1892/93 Academic Year: Simon P. Fisher, Grade of Certificate 3rd. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 1892(1893ColoredA Census of Colored Teachers for the School Year closing July 31, 1893), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education
- 1893/94 Academic Year: Armistead R. Smith of Middleburg was a colored instructor at Aldie. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 ( 18931894ColoredReel4418Census of Colored Teachers 1893/94 – March 30, 1894), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education.
- 1894/95: Mr. Harvey Johnson from Aldie instructed in Aldie on a second grade certificate. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 ( 1895ColoredA Census of Colored Teachers 1894/95 – Done Dec 10, 1894), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education.
- 1895/96: Harvey Johnson was still the instructor. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 (1896ColoredCombined Census of Colored Teachers 1895/96 – Done Dec 15, 1895), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education.
- 1896/97. Mr. Johnson was still the instructor. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 (1897ColoredCombined Census of Colored Teachers 1896-97 – Done Dec 15, 1896), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS 703 867 2056. South Riding, Virginia