Brownsville (Near Hamilton), Jefferson District
Edit Date: 10/24/2014/3/21/2017
1887 – 1929: The property, which sat on one acre of land, was conveyed to the School District by William H. Brown and Maria P. Brown, March 1, 1887 and then sold at auction Saturday, August 17, 1929 for $330 to E.L. McFarland. Sources:
- Poster, Commissioner’s Sale of School Properties, August 17, 1929 in front of the Court House, Leesburg, Va. (See Schools Box #2), Loudoun County Circuit Court Archives.
- Loudoun County Circuit Court Archives, Deed Documents: Liber 6 Z’s, Folio 154.
- Report of George F. Weaver, auctioneer, August 17, 1929, Loudoun County, Va. (See Schools Box #2), Loudoun County Circuit Court Archives.
- Loudoun Discovered, by Eugene Scheel, Vol 4, pg. 17.
1927, October 24.
1922 Petitions to retain or move schools at Brownsville. Apparently in 1922 there was a discussion of moving schooling at Brownville to the Odd-Fellows Hall in Hamilton. This resulted in two competing petitions, one on Dec 22, 1922 from parents wanting schooling continue at Brownsville and one on Dec 6, 1922 calling for a school at the Golden Hill Odd-Fellows Hall in Hamilton. Brownsville1922 Petitions. This building (no longer standing) hold the first meeting of the Emancipation Association and was often the starting point for the parades. FYI: The Grand United Order of Odd Fellows was founded in 1843 and has since been mainly associated with African-Americans, those of African descent and other people of color. Unfortunately, all of the records of this lodge have been lost, except for a photograph of the building done in 1939/40 by Archie Richardson and two photographs of children at the back of the lodge done in the mid-1930’s. These are in
Sold Aug 17, 1929. See Archives of the Circuit Court of Loudoun County, Liber 6 Z’s, Folio 154. Sale is mentioned as well in Minutes of School Board Meeting of September 6, 1927. Sold because school was closed and children “were served well already by other schools”. Some went to the old Hamilton Odd Fellow’s Hall. See pg 18, Loudoun Discovered, Vol Four.
2) Insurance and Construction
- 1929: Insured in 1929 for three years, which is interesting, since the structure was sold in 1929. Source: LCPS Staff. (1924-1936). Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS. (Found in LCPS Records Office, Round Hill. Black Book with Red Spine and Corners) Page 3/4.
- The building was a one room frame structure. In 1921/22, the blackboards were wood/slate, needing paint on the wood. The size of the lot was ½ acre and there was no flag on the school house. The fence was on three sides. In 1920/21 and 1921/22, the school also educated students from Mt. Gilead District, six in 1920/21 and eight in 1921/22. See . See 13, Brownsville Term Reports (1920-1922).
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS 703 867 2056. South Riding, Virginia (c) 2014-2017