BULL RUN colored school (See also Aldie Colored)
Data as of 5/18/2016, 8/28/2017, 9/6/2017
- 1930/31 Academic Year: Cornelia Smith was elected by the School Board on June 10, 1930. Source: Loudoun Times Mirror Staff. (1930, June 12). School Board Holds Its Regular Session. Loudoun Times Mirror, p. 1.
- 1923/26: Situated in post office area of Aldie, Va, the structure was insured by LCPS system for 1923/26 as a “colored school” in the Mercer District. Source: LCPS Staff. (1924-1936). Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS. Black Book with Red Spine and Corners) Page 24/25.
3) Location and History
Current schoolhouse building is at 24015 New Mountain Road, Aldie.
1898. Original Aldie Colored School burned down.
1909. The former Bull Run School, now a residence, was … erected in 1909 as a replacement for the 1890 building as a typical one-room frame, front-gable schoolhouse. The land was donated by Albert Hall, grandfather to Betsy Stewart (Robinson), who now lives next door. The structure named Bull Run School after its location on the east slope of Bull Run Mountain. Current address Current address: 23965 New Mountain Road, Bowmantown. Source: History Matters Staff. (2004). Loudoun County African-American Historical Architectural Resources Survey. Leesburg: Balch Library and Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. pp 38/39. Interview of Betsy Stewart by Larry Roeder 8/19/2017.
An undated petition signed by 28 patrons to the School board appealed for an extra room for Bull Run, due to overcrowded conditions. Bull Run Request for a Room. Location: Colored Petitions, LCPS Archives.
Jan 24 (unknown year) Another undated petition also asked for an extra room. In this case, the table of signatures also showed how children would be provided by each family. The parents offered to help pay for the new construction. Bull Run Unknown Year. Location: Colored Petitions, LCPS Archives
1959: The 1909 schoolhouse served the community’s education needs for 50 years, closing down in 1959. Sold at pubic auction Saturday, April 4, 1959 at noon on the steps of the Court House of Loudoun County. Deed recorded in Deed Book 7F, Folio 358. Archives, Loudoun County Circuit Court Archives. Source: Poster for Public Auction, School Box 2, Archives, Loudoun County Circuit Court Archives. Although History Matters (see above called the school a one room frame schoolhouse, the Poster from 1959 described the structure as a two-room frame school house.”
According to Betsy Stewart (interview by Larry Roeder 8/19/2017) and former instructors, the school went from the first through the 8th grade. Everyone walked to school, other than the instructor, who came by private vehicle. Most walked home for lunch or brought lunch in bag. Tins were not used for lunch. When Betsy went to school, the area was entirely Black; but today is of mixed race.
Photo By Thos E. Sims, Jr. Insurance Analysis and Permanent Record – Property of Loudoun County School Board: Garrett Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company), Leesburg, Virginia. October, 1940. Source: (InsuranceBook1940InsurancePhotos Edwin Washington Archives, Round Hill, Loudoun, Co., Va.)
Following Photos of the structure were taken in August, 2017 by Larry Roeder
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS