HILLSBORO (Short Hill), Jefferson District, Loudoun
Data as of 5/17/2016
Sections: 1) Insurance, 2) Location and History, 3) 1940 Insurance Photos and Physical Description, 4) Instructors.
- 1929: Insured for three years. Source: LCPS Staff. (1924-1936). Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS. (Found in LCPS Records Office, Round Hill. Black Book with Red Spine and Corners) Page 3/4. Was also located in the Jefferson District.
2) Location and History:
- Built 1886. Source: Report of Survey Committee on Long Range Planning for Loudoun County, Jan, 1940. Location: LCPS: Archives folder 2.2 County School Board, 1918-1952.
- Spelled Hillsborough in 1893. The structure stood south of Hillsboro in a historically African-American enclave known as Short Hill. Segregated portions of the Loudoun communities mostly had their own names.
3) 1940 Insurance Photos and Physical Description.
Photo By Thos E. Sims, Jr. Source: Insurance Analysis and Permanent Record – Property of Loudoun County School Board: Garrett Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company), Leesburg, Virginia. October, 1940. (Blue Insurance Binder, LCPS Records Office, Round Hill, Loudoun, Co., Va.)
- 1893/94: George Stewart of Hillsboro. Grade of Certificate 3rd. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 ( 18931894ColoredReel4418Census of Colored Teachers 1893/94 – March 30, 1894), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education.
- 1894/95: Mr. Stewart continued at Hillsboro. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 ( 1895ColoredA Census of Colored Teachers 1894/95 – Done Dec 10, 1894), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education.
- 1895/96: George Stuart was still instructing on a 2nd grade permit. Hillsboro was also spelled Hillsborough. Source: Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975 ( 1895ColoredA Census of Colored Teachers 1894/95 – Done Dec 10, 1894), Richmond, Virginia, USA: Virginia Department of Public Instruction/Education
- 1930/31: J.A. Arter was elected by the School Board. Source: Loudoun Times Mirror Staff. (1930, June 12). School Board Holds Its Regular Session. Loudoun Times Mirror, p. 1.
- 1931/32 – 1940/41: Hannah E. Bacchus (Daniel after 1936). Term Reports, LCPS Archives. Born July 22, 1908. Lived in Hillsboro and Richmond prior to that. Graduated from Storer High School in 1930 and Storer College in 1932. Source: Term Reports. Teacher Reports, LCPS Archives.
- 1941/42 – 1942-44: Isaac J. Daniel. Born Feb 7, 1907. Lived in Hillsboro. Graduated from Storer College and Virginia Union Univ. Source: Loudoun Times Mirror Staff. (1942, April 16, page 2). School Board.
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS South Riding, Virginia (c) 2/25/2016