MARBLE QUARRY Colored School, Mercer District
Data as of 5/18/2016
Notice the big school bell on top! Very unusual.
- 1924/25 – 1935/36: Mrs. Gertrude Stewart. Sources: Term Reports, LCPS Archives. Also Loudoun Times Mirror Staff. (1930, June 12). School Board Holds Its Regular Session. Loudoun Times Mirror, p. 1.
- 1936/37 – 1937/38: Charles H. Willis, Source: Term Reports, LCPS Archives.
- 1938/39 – 1942/43: Hazel Brown (Madden by 1942). Source: Term Reports, LCPS Archives. Loudoun Times Mirror, Times Staff, School Board (from page 1), pg 2 showed colored teachers. April 16, 1942.
1943/44: Mrs. Mattie (McQuay) Berryman. Born Sept 7, 1895, died May, 1976 and buried at Solon Cemetery in Loudoun. He home was in Middleburg. Educated at Hampton Institute; but did not acquire a degree. Prior to working at Marble Quarry, Mrs Berryman instructed at Lincoln. She resigned from the system during the 1943/44 academic year. Sources: Term reports and Teacher Reports, LCPS Archives.
- 1944/45 – 1945/46: Hazel Madden
- 1945/46 – 1946-47: Charles Willis
- 1923/26 Insured by LCPS system for 1923/26 as a “Colored” school in Mercer District. Source: LCPS Staff. (1924-1936). Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS. (Found in LCPS Records Office, Round Hill. Black Book with Red Spine and Corners) Page 24/25.
3) Construction and Sale of School:
- Construction was in 1874 as a one room frame building for $350. Source: Report of Survey Committee on Long Range Planning for Loudoun County, Jan, 1940. Location: LCPS: Archives folder 2.2 County School Board, 1918-1952.
- In 1973, the congregation of Mount Zion Baptist Church of Marble Quarry purchased the former school building and converted it into their church. Source: History Matters Staff. (2004). Loudoun County African-American Historical Architectural Resources Survey. Leesburg: Balch Library and Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, page 38.
Photo By Thos E. Sims, Jr. Source: Insurance Analysis and Permanent Record – Property of Loudoun County School Board: Garrett Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company), Leesburg, Virginia. October, 1940. (Blue Insurance Binder, LCPS Records Office, Round Hill, Loudoun, Co., Va.)
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS 703 867 2056. South Riding, Virginia (c) 11/11/ 2014