ROCK HILL Colored School, Mercer District
Data as of 5/18/2016
1) Combined Classes with Conklin: See Volume 5 of Conklin Village Study by Larry Roeder.
Rock Hill, which was in the Mercer District, shared schooling with Conklin in 1942/43 and 1943/44 academic years, was a one story, detached, frame building with composition roof, on concrete foundation, containing one room. By 1940, this building was lit by electricity and heated by a stove, the metal flue passed through a wall, thereby making the flue non-standard. The building was approximately 32 ½’ x 42’ and in good condition in 1940, with an estimated insurable value of $500. The picture above was taken around 1940 as part of an inspection and survey report done by the Garrett Insurance Agency, Inc. and the Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company. I contacted Fireman’s in 2013 to see if they had any archival information; but none was available (Westermann, 2013). For the split years, it is unclear which months schooling was at Conklin and which at Rock Hill, nor if students were expected to attend both schools.
There is a hint in the Term Report for 1942/43 as to which of the students in the combined body were Rock Hill, vs Conklin; we just don’t know if only one structure was used or both. According to the Enrollment Card for Conklin for 1942/43, the school had 11 students. The Term Report for 1942/43 by Nannie Cole listed 23 students; but all except 11 had a RH pencil mark next to their name. The 11 were marked with a strike “-“. See further discussion in the section of Volume 5 of the Conklin Village Project on the 1942/43 Academic Year..
Enrollment Card by Year for the Rock Hill Colored School.
In addition to analysis of each academic year, it is worth noting that clerks in the Loudoun County School system also maintained a set of handwritten “Enrollment Cards” for each school. For Rock Hill , the grades taught were 1-7 and the race of students was “colored.” See Volume 5 of the Conklin Village Study by Larry Roeder for more details.
- Earliest records of instructors starts in 1917, though; however, the structure was constructed in 1880 as a one room frame school house at a cost of $550. Source: Report of Survey Committee on Long Range Planning for Loudoun County, Jan, 1940. Location: LCPS: Archives folder 2.2 County School Board, 1918-1952.
- Closed and hauled to Middleburg in 1946. Source: RockHill Attendance and Staff Report, LCPS archives.
- Attendance and Staffing statistics: 1917-1946 RockHill Attendance and Staff Report.
|Session||No. Teachers||Enrollment||Ave. Attendance||Term|
|1927-28||No School. Couldn’t secure teacher.|
|1929-30||1||49 (est)||38 (est)||160|
|1945-46||Closed, hauled to Middleburg|
 It is useful to note that as of 1937, the terms of “colored” schools was always, and unfortunately, shorter than that of white schools. See Dorsey, Ford, “History of education in Loudoun County” (1937). Honors Theses, University of Richmond. Paper 329.
- Insured by LCPS system in 1923/26 as a “colored” school in the Mercer District. Source: LCPS Staff. (1924-1936). Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS. (Found in LCPS Records Office, Round Hill. Black Book with Red Spine and Corners) Page 24/25.
4) Special notes on Instructors:
- 1930/31: In July, the School Board appointed Lucille B. Clay the colored instructor. Source: Loudoun Times Mirror Staff. (1930, July 10). School Board Holds Its Regular Session. Loudoun Times Mirror.1942/43: Nannie C. Coles, was the instructor in the combined Rock Hill/Conklin project. Source: Term Report for 1942/43.
5) Photographs and Physical Description from 1940
Photo By Thos E. Sims, Jr. Source: Insurance Analysis and Permanent Record – Property of Loudoun County School Board: Garrett Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company), Leesburg, Virginia. October, 1940. (Blue Insurance Binder, LCPS Records Office, Round Hill, Loudoun, Co., Va.)
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS 703 867 2056. South Riding, Virginia (c) 11/11/ 2014