WILLARD, Broad Run District
Data as of 4/12/2016
The village of Willard is no more. Approximately 26 square miles (67 km2) of Virginia land from Willard, Chantilly, Pleasant Valley, Sterling, and Ashburn was bought for construction for Dulles Airport. By the airport’s completion, all remains of civilization before 1958 on this land had virtually disappeared, except a stretch of Willard Rd (used as a service road), and three storage outbuildings between Runways 1C/19C and 1R/19L. This paragraph and other history can be found in an article on the hamlet by Eugene Scheel and others on Wikipedia.
History of the school follows:
- 1925 Loudoun County School Fair: Willard probably participated in the April 29/30, 1915 Loudoun County School Fair. If so, it was the only “colored” school to do so and presented 22 Exhibits, but won no prizes. Unfortunately, detailed records of happenings at the fair, beyond the report by Oscar Emerick, then Secretary-Treasurer of the fair, have disappeared with time.
- Opened: Probably in the 1890’s “Willard School, an 1890s weatherboard one-roomer finely built with tongue-and-groove wood-lined walls inside. After lower Loudoun schools for black children consolidated at the brick Oak Grove School in 1948, Willard School was jacked up, hitched onto John B. Hornbaker’s threshing machine and rolled three miles north to the place of Eugene Beard, no relation to Ernest G. It spent its last years there as an outbuilding near Coleman’s School, the white children’s one-roomer.” Source Dulles Airport Has Its Roots in Rural Black Community of Willard by Eugene Scheel. Because records from the early part of the 20th century and in prior years are fragmented, there is always the possibility that a white Willard school existed; after all, whites did live in the hamlet. However, no written evidence has emerged that anything other than a “colored” school existed.
- 1903/04: Ms Kate H. Macintosh (white), Later in the 20th century, white instructors never taught African-Americans; but it did happen the 19th and early 20t century. Ms. S.L. Pearson was also shown as an instructor. Pearson was “colored.”
- 1904/05: Mrs. Rachel Palmer (white), taught at Willard; but evidently also transferred to Evergreen where she continued to instruct in the 1905/06 academic year, along with Raymond Maffett. We have no records on Evergreen.
- 1905/06: Ms. Annie E. Fouche (white), taught at Willard.
- 1918/19: Mrs. Mary Stewart (colored) instructed at Willard.
- 1921/22: Miss Augusta M. Julius (colored) of Sterling (brn about 1892), who operated on LP permit issued in 1921. She was contracted for 7 months and was paid $45 a month to teach grades 1-7. Source: Julius, A. M. (1922). Term Report for Willard, 1921/22. Purcellville: LCPS and Virginia Dept. of Education, Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975. Richmond, Virginia, USA. Interestingly, the 1920 U.S. Census had her living in Marshall, Fauquier County.
- 1922/23 : The original is hard to read. Appears to be E. Virginia (Unk)(Colored) but this needs to be determined. Was contracted for all 7 grades and operated on an LP license to expire in 1922. Was paid $45 a month. Source: Term Report for Willard for 1922/23 and Virginia Dept. of Education, Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975. Richmond, Virginia, USA:
- 1923/24: No Term Report
- 1924/25: : Ms. Romaine L. Gaskins (negro), which was the term at the time. I didn’t find anything on her for that year in the Virginia Dept. of Education, Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975. Richmond, Virginia, USA:
- 1925/26: Edna V. Russ (colored). She operated on an LP license and was paid $45 a month to teach 17 children, 8 boys and 9 girls. Her contract was for 6 and 3/20 months. Sources: Russ, Edna V. (1926). Term Report for Willard, 1925/26, Purcellville and Virginia Dept. of Education, Lists of Teachers, 1892-1975. Richmond, Virginia, USA: The following year 1926/27, Russ instructed at Conklin.
- 1926/27 Academic Year. The School was closed, along with Trappe (white) and Hughesville because they had not made a legal average. Source: Emerick, Ruth. M. (1924). Minutes of the County School Board Meeting for Feb 9, 19246 Purcellville: LCPS.
- It appears that the school reopened, as often happened when enough children could be enrolled (see Conklin), then closed permanently in 1948, according to a history developed by Eugene Scheel. However, we do not have acacdemic records for the years 1926/27 -1948.
3) Condition and Description of the School House
- 1921/22 Academic Year: The structure wasn’t described; but the toilets were described as outdoor and in poor condition. Ten benches were used with a seating capacity of 44, which was the enrollment that year. There was also a wooden black board of poor condition covering 20 square feet. Source: Julius, A. M. (1922). Term Report for Willard, 1921/22. Purcellville: LCPS
- 1922/23 Academic Year: One room, frame house with poor ventilation and very poor heating. The toilets were out of doors and in poor condition. 7 Benches were used for seating with a capacity for 14 students. 24 students attended that year. Source: Term Report for Willard for 1922/23
- 1924/25 Academic Year: No physical description was provided in the Term Report, other than that the school lacked an American Flag.
4) Statistical Information
- 1921/22 Academic Year. 33 children were instructed, 16 boys and 17 girls.
- 1922/23 Academic Year. 24 children, 12 boys and 12 girls, could obtain texts at the contract rate. The day ran for 5.5 hours. There was no US flag.
- 1923/24 Academic Year. No Information.
- 1924/25 Academic Year. 16 children were instructed, 8 boys and 8 girls. The school was also open only for 4 months, spread over 84 days.
- 1925/26 Academic Year. 17 children were instructed, 8 boys and 9 girls.
Edited by Larry Roeder, MS, Contact. (c) 2016