The first school in Aldie was established in 1858. Enrollment was about 75 students that came from Arcola, Lenah, Halfway and other villages. (Source: Aldie Heritage Society)
New Aldie School, Photo (above) taken 1940.
An ordinary joisted, one story plus basement brick building with composition roof, on stone and concrete foundation, built in 1926. This building contained five rooms and an auditorium. It was lit by electricity and heated by a low pressure steam heating plant. It was also furnished with water and equipped with the usual plumbing fixtures necessary to the occupancy. The building was considered modern in 1940 and in excellent condition. It was 76’x104′ and situated approximately 30 feet west of the old Aldie school and approximately 43 feet east of the frame Aldie shop.
Old Aldie School, Photo (above) Taken 1940
A two story, frame building with metal roof on stone foundation, built in 1915. This structure contains five rooms in 1940, an office and a basement. It was lit by electricity and heated by a low pressure steam heating plant. It was also furnished with water and the usual plumbing fixtures necessary to the occupancy. The building was approximately 37′ x 52′ and in condition in 1940. Was situated approximately 30 feet to the east of the new Aldie brick school and insured for $7,000.
Aldie Shop, Photo (above) taken 1940.
This was in 1940 a one story, frame building with metal roof, on concrete foundation. It contained only one room, heated by a stove, the flue of which was of standard construction. It was lit by electricity and approximately 31.5′ by 47.5′ and in excellent condition. The structure was located approximately 43 feet west of the Aldie new school and insured in 1940 for $2,000.
Aldie shop, April 2018. Photo by Larry Roeder. Reverse side of the 1940 picture. Notice large door.
The Aldie Heritage Society has provided a history on their web site The first school in Aldie was established in 1858 with an enrollment of about 75 students that came from Arcola, Lenah, Halfway and other villages. In 1888, the building burned and was replaced by another two-room school house. In 1915, the White Building (above) was built for the high school (where the flag pole is now located) with an enrollment of about 35 students.
School records in the Edwin Washington Project archives indicate that grades 1 through 7 were taught from 1917 to 1965 and grades 8 through 11 from 1917 to 1955, when the students had to attend the consolidated Loudoun County high School. Source: Edwin Washington Archives: Digital Box 6.6 Student Enrollment Cards\EnrollmentCardsAll\School White Records\A.