Lincoln High School, 1908-1925, Photo above, courtesy of Lincoln School, 2017
Lincoln High School (white) (1940 and now today’s Lincoln Elementary School)
Photo above taken in August, 2017 by Larry Roeder
Following the fire of 1925, which burned totally destroyed the 1908 High School, which was also Loudoun County’s first High School, (excepting the foundation, which still shows soot from the fire), the new Lincoln High School was constructed in 1926 as an ordinary, joisted one story, brick building with composition roof, on concrete foundation. At the time, it had eight class rooms and an auditorium. It was lit by electricity and heated by a low pressure steam heating plant.
The auditorium (which is the first room entered from the front entrance) was considered equivalent to a two story building. An addition above the roof of the main building is of frame stucco construction with composition roof. It was furnished with water and equipped with the usual plumbing fixtures necessary to the occupancy. It was in 1940 considered modern and in excellent condition. The shop, being a small frame structure, exposed the High School building at a distance of 45 feet. The main structure was approximately 77’x123′, with two additions approximately 33.5’x34′ each. In 1940, it was insured for $30,000.
See Lincoln High School Collection, 1911-1941, (SC 0015), Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, VA, Accession #SC 0015, Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Virginia.
We also recommend school history produced by LCPS.
Lincoln Cottage (white). Photo (above) from 1940.
Built in 1923 and situated 200 feet NW of the Lincoln High School, the cottage was a two story frame building with metal roof, on stone foundation, of usual dwelling construction. It contained five rooms and was lit by electricity. Heat came from a hot air furnace. The size was 24.5’x31.5′ and in 1940 was considered to be in good condition. In 1940, it was insured for $2,000.
Lincoln Shop (white). Photo (above) taken in 1940.
Located approximately 45′ NE of the high school building, the shop (above) was built in 1923 as a one story, frame building with metal roof, on stone foundation, containing only one room. It was lit by electricity and heated by a stove. The flue was brick, of standard construction. It was also approximately 26’x32′ and in 1940 was considered to be in good condition and thus was insured for $1200.
Lincoln Grade School (white). Photo above from 1940.
An ordinary joisted one and two story, detached structure. It was constructed of brick on a stone foundation and a metal roof. The original structure was constructed in 1879, with an addition in 1939. It had three class rooms, an auditorium, a kitchen and a library, as well as a basement under the one story portion. The structure was lit with electricity and heated by a low pressure steam heating plant. Water was furnished, along with the usual plumbing fixtures necessary to the occupancy. The two story portion was approximately 50’x28.5, whereas the one story portion was approximately 35.5×58′. About 1940, the structure was reconditioned and that year was considered in good condition and insured for $12,000.