The village is situated on Snickersville Turnpike halfway between Aldie and Philomont at the intersection of Mountville road. Mountville is located on a promontory between the main branch of the Goose Creek and its tributary, Beaverdam Creek, at the western base of Catoctin Mountain. (source, wikipedia). The school building is on Mountville Road.
Prior to the current building, was a one room school house that hosted an average of forty students, which prompted the citizens in a petition of March 17, 1930 to ask the School Board to build a new two room school house. We don’t yet know where the original building was situated, nor what it was madeof.
Mountville (white). Photo taken in 1940
Built in 1931, the school house was an ordinary joisted, one story, detached two room, stone building, with a metal roof. Though wired for electricity; in 1940 it was not connected with an outside line. Heat was from stoves, the flues to which were of standard, brick construction. In 1940, the building was considered modern, being practically new and in excellent condition. The size was approximately 32′ x 64.5′ and was valued in 1940 at $3,500. Sat on an acre of land.
Picture of Mountville from 1935, courtesy of Lee Lawrence. Given to Lee by Bob Humphrey, who grew up in the schoolhouse. Lee and her husband bought the property from the Humphreys. Bob’s father attended school here, and was also named Bob Humphrey as well, and he is in this photo. The student, Bob Humphrey, lived next to the schoolhouse, and came early every morning to put coal in the stove that heated the school. (Bob Humphrey lived at Creek Hill Farm, which is still there but now a fancy property.)
The building was sold June 9, 1945 in a Commissioner’s sale, with the stipulation that the Loudoun County Public Schools reserved the right to remove the toilets. See
Property in 2017, photo by Larry Roeder
Side of school house, 2017, photo by Larry Roeder.