County Wide League of Black PTAs
The County Wide League of Black PTAs is credited as the main political force behind the effort to acquire a Black High School Building, the one that became known as Douglass High School. Formed in 1938. Despite economic hardships, significant progress was made in challenging the limitations of school segregation, thanks in part to how lobbying by Virginia Blacks changed in the mid-1930’s. Counties formed County-Wide Leagues of Black PTAs. Established in 1938, Loudoun’s league became a unified voice for nearly all Blacks and remained active at least until 1958.
The initial leaders of Loudoun’s County-Wide League of Black PTAs Officers in 1938:
- Gertrude Alexander (initiated). Gertrude was the Jeanes Fund Supervisor in Loudoun.
- John Wanzer, President (Middleburg)
- Elizabeth Quisenberry, Vice President (Leesburg);
- Miss Annie Ferrell, Second Vice President (Waterford);
- Mr. Charles H. Willis, Secretary (Aldie);
- Mrs. E. Sanford, Assistant Secretary (Hamilton);
- Mrs. Irene Roberts, Treasurer (Leesburg);
- Reverend Williams, Chaplain (Leesburg);
- Edith O. Harris, Publicity (Leesburg).