HUGHESVILLE, Mt. Gilead District
Sections: 1) Closures and Openings, 1882-1928, 3) Insurance, Photos and Physical Description, 3) Instructors, 1893-1947.
Schools for Blacks were given number designations, in addition to their names. The same system was used for White schools except that they were given letter designations. In 1938/39, the number designation for Hughesville Colored was #31. Source 1.7 1939 Socio Econ Study.
(1) Closures, Openings and Petitions
- 1882: LCPS Archives (Deed Folder) shows a deed from November, which is marked in pencil to likely be the Hughesville “negro” school. Hughesville Deed of 1882.
- 1890. This was the construction date, according to official records. The 1882 deed could still be correct, just that construction didn’t start right away. Hughesville was a one room frame structure, costing $400. Source: Report of Survey Committee on Long Range Planning for Loudoun County, Jan, 1940. Location: LCPS: Archives folder 2.2 County School Board, 1918-1952.
- See also discussion about Mt. Gilead Township school.
- 1924: The County School Board voted to operate Hughesville for the 1924/25 Academic Year. Source: Emerick, Ruth. M. (1924). Minutes of the County School Board Meeting for March 17, 1924. Purcellville: LCPS.
- 1926: The County School Board voted to closed Hughsville because it did not make a legal average. The same thing happened to Willard and Trappe (white). Source: Emerick, Ruth. M. (1924). Minutes of the County School Board Meeting for Feb 9, 19246 Purcellville: LCPS.
- 1927. On October 24, 1927, the parents and patrons of Hughesville School, having met at schoolhouse on October 23, asked that the school be reopened, there being twenty or more children who would attend. Hughesville 1927 Source: Colored Petition Box, LCPS Archives.
- 1928. On June 28, 1928, the parents and patrons of Hughesville School asked that their school be reopened, given that twenty or more children of school age wanted to attend. Of special interest to researchers is that the names of ages of many of the children are also provided. Hughesville 1928. Source: Colored Petition Box, LCPS Archives.
1924/27: Not insured by LCPS in 1924/27 as a “colored” school in Mt. Gilead District. Source: Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS Page 32/33.
1931: Insured for $500. Insurance Record. Purcellville: LCPS, pg 54/55
(3) Photographs and Physical Description.
1940 Photo By Thos E. Sims, Jr. Source: Insurance Analysis and Permanent Record – Property of Loudoun County School Board: Garrett Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company), Leesburg, Virginia. October, 1940. (Blue Insurance Binder, LCPS Records Office, Round Hill, Loudoun, Co., Va.) The building in 1940 was considered detached, frame on stone foundation with a metal roof, just as in 2017. It contains only one room, though after service, the interior was subdivided. This was very common, as seen at the Yellow School House and Neersville. It was heated by a stove with a standard flue. The size was 19.5′ by 32.5′ and in 1940 was considered to be fair condition, as well as insurable for $500.
Hughesville Colored School, in restored form in 2017. Now a studio for an artist., Photo by Larry Roeder
Inside of Hughesville Colored School in 2017. Now a studio., Photo by Larry Roeder
Banner of Hughsville Colored School, courtesy of Shirley Sims, 8/19/2017. Photo by Larry Roeder
Edited by Larry W. Roeder, Jr., MS 11/11/ 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019