Little River White

Little River in 2023
Little River in 2023 N side of Braddock.

Opening and Closing

1887 - 1936/37.

Physical and Map Location

Little River White
Little River White

40348 Braddock Rd, Aldie

Little River Teacherage and Little River White School are on opposite sides of Braddock.


  • Probably about 1927: A list of 11 parents and their children's names and ages. Such lists were often produced as a method of arguing to keep a school open or to reopen a school that had been closed due to a low student population.
  • 1933: 19 Patrons request the appointment of Mrs. Mary H. Megeath as the teacher for the 1933/34 session.
  • 1935: 32 Patrons protesting the closing of Little River School and requesting its re-opening for the session beginning Sep 1935.


Walking was a common method of school transportation even before the creation of Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS).  It’s believed that students who lived within 3 miles of a school could walk from their home to school.  The figure at shows the location of the school with a circle representing the area from which students could have walked, back and forth from their home to the school.  Travel by horse was also used and could have extended the travel distance.


  • Was in the Broad Run School District.
  • Earliest student cards date back to 1917/18
  • School was closed 1924/25-1927/28.
  • Final closure was in 1936/37 on October 1 when the students were hauled to Aldie.


1920/24.   Mrs. Alice C. Hutchison.  Age 49 in 1920/21.  had 10 years of experience.  Certificate was issues in 1918.  Attended Luray Institute.   Born 30 Jan 1871.  Died  30 Nov 1962.

1933/34.  Petition asked that Mrs. Mary H. Megeath be appointed as teacher.  We don't know if successful.

Insurance and Physical Description

  • Opened in 1887 as a one room frame structure at the cost of $350.  State of repair was fair.
  • US Flag few from front of school.
  • I acred property was encloised with a fence on three sides.
  • 2 Toilets were pit type in good condition,