Mount Gilead White
Map above shows relationship of Mt. Gilead in its District to North Fork, Philomont and Greggsville. Source is 1923 map of Loudoun by OL Emerick, Superintendent of Schools.
A one story frame Mount Gilead public school was built in the early 1870’s for white students on a 3/4 parcel of land along Mount Gilead Road. It also served as Mount Gilead’s Town Hall, then closed permanently in 1920 and was destroyed by fire before 1930. After the closure, children walked to North Fork, which also closed in 1934, at which point they went to Lincoln School. Source: “Schools at Mount Gilead,” pg 144 in Mount Gilead, History and Heritage, by William C. Ray, 2010, Leesburg.
An 1844 indenture existed that was reserved for a school house; but no record exists of it having been built. Mount Gilead, History and Heritage, pg 145.