Loudoun County Training Center Colored
See also original Leesburg school. (to be edited)
Schools for Blacks were given number designations, in addition to their names. The same system was used for White schools except that they were given letter designations. In 1938/39, the number designation for the Training Center was #25. Source1.7 1939 Socio Econ Study
Petitions: (being researched)
Draft 2014 Report to be updated. Loudoun County Training Center School
An undated petition exists arguing not to purchase land adjacent to the “colored” high school and also adjacent to the Union Cemetery. Likely the reference is really to the Loudoun County Training Center. More research into LCPS archives will required to determine the exact date. This appears to be a petition by white citizens. We do know that a Reverend Charles W. Caulkins and his wife signed. A reverend with that name in 1938 was a pastor with the Potomac River Baptist Association. (Source: Manassas Journal, Aug 18, 1938, Page 1, Col 3). The 1940 U.S. Census for Leesburg also identified him as a “white” Clergyman. In 1947, Caulkins gave the commencement address at Aldie High School, which was also white school. Others on the petition have also been identified as white. This doesn’t mean that the petition was necessarily detrimental to the “colored” population; but more research is required. Location: Folder: 2.5.A Colored Petitions, EWP Archives LoudounCntyTrnyCenter.
1883: The deed for the property was obtained June 2, 1883 from John R. Beuchler and Mary V Beuchler his wife of the Town of Leesburg by School District No. 1 in Leesburg Magisterial District. See deed books in the Circuit Court Archives of Loudoun County, Book 6T, Folio 498. The price was $400.
1883: July 5: The school system placed the following ad to construct a new school building in the Loudoun Mirror. ” Proposals to build a School House in Lesburg, Va. Sealed proposals will be received at the Office of the Clerk of the Board of Trustees of Public Schools for Leesburg District until 12 o’clock, noon, on Wednesday, July 11, 1883, and opened immediately thereafter for building a Two-story, Three Roomed school house. Specifications, &c can be seen at said office. The Board reserves the right to reject any of the bids, or to waive defects. By order of Board of Trustees. W.N. Wise, clerk of Board.
1883: The structure was constructed in around 1883 as a two-story frame with five classrooms for primary education of African-Americans. Source: EWP Archives: 9.3, 1940, Construction and Pop Study. See also deed books in the Circuit Court Archives of Loudoun County, Book 6T, Folio 498.
1930: June 10. $150 was authorized by the School Board for repairs to building and roof, to be done by J.B. King. Source: Loudoun Times Mirror Staff. (1930, June 12). School Board Holds Its Regular Session. Loudoun Times Mirror
1935: An addition on the western side in 1935 may have been made of wood from the old Sycoline Colored one-room school, which was closed in AY 1930/31. Sources: Douglass Alumni Association recollections, Douglass High School Fiftieth Anniversary (DHS Fiftieth recollections). Closure of the Sycoline school is found in 9.1 Yr. 1930 School Board Minutes for March 8.
Teachers: (we are now beginning to add a list)
- 1893/1894: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers on station. 129 pupils were enrolled.
- 1894/1895: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 135 pupils enrolled.
- 1895/1896: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 147 pupils enrolled.
- 1896/1897: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 158 pupils enrolled.
- 1897/1898: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 149 pupils enrolled.
- 1898/1899: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 97 pupils enrolled.
- 1899/1900: Superintendent’s annual reports did collect statistics; but column listing names was blank. Very likely, the schools were in the same order as in prior years. Based on that logic, the principal offered six grades. 3 teachers were on station and 92 pupils enrolled.
- 1900/1901: William H. Ash, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 104 pupils enrolled.
- 1901/1902: Walter O. Lewis, Principal. Offered six grades. 3 teachers. 119 pupils enrolled.
- 1902/1903: Walter O. Lewis, Principal. Offered 7 grades. 3 teachers. 109 pupils enrolled.
- 1903/1904: John C. Walker, Principal. Offered 8 grades. 3 teachers. 109 pupils enrolled.
- 1904/1905: John C. Walker, Principal. Offered 8 grades. 3 teachers. 107 pupils enrolled.
- 1905/1906: John C. Walker, Principal. Offered 8 grades. 3 teachers. 116 pupils enrolled.
- 1917/1918 – 1924/1925: John C. Walker, Annie Harris and Mary E. Waters were teachers.
- 1925/1930: Annie Harris, John C. Walker and Mary E. Waters were teachers.
- 1930/1936: Annie Harris, Harris Edythe Biography (starts formal HS program), John C. Walker.
- 1937/1938: Archie H. Lucas, John C. Walker, Annie Harris, Edith Harris (first name spelling varies)
- 1938/1939: Estelle Riddick, Archie H. Lucas, Annie Harris, Edythe Harris.
- 1939/1940: Miss Thelma Garnes, Archie Lucas, Edythe Harris, John Walker.
- 1940/1941: George W. Liverpool, Mrs. Elizabeth Jones, Miss Edythe Harris, Miss Thelma Garnes, John C. Walker
- 1941/1942: Miss Elsie E. Pierce, George W. Liverpool, Moses D. Knox, Mrs. Gladys Kent.
Physical Description and Insurance Photographs from 1940.
Photo By Thos E. Sims, Jr. Source: Insurance Analysis and Permanent Record – Property of Loudoun County School Board: Garrett Insurance Company (Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company), Leesburg, Virginia. October, 1940. (Blue Insurance Binder, LCPS Records Office, Round Hill, Loudoun, Co., Va.)
Description from insurance document.